Music is a subject which is varied and as such music majors study everything from Renaissance to rap and pop to more. Being a musician requires hard work from all angles- whether it involves practicing for long hours, going for concerts or learning about musical traditions worldwide etc. everything depends on passion and determination to see it through.
Music as a field of study involves a variety of courses which include the history of music, elements of music, music theory and composition, ear training, physics of musical sound, computers in music, and mediation of sound, choral conditioning, advanced conducting, the art of field recording, musical cosmologies and more.
|Musician or Singer||$39,000|
|Digital Media Specialist||$45,000|
|Audio Visual Coordinator||$43,000|
|Engineer, Music Recording||$49,000|
• Communication skills are an absolute necessity in this field. But apart from the usual communication skills of just talking to others and listening to peers and their ideas, here one has to go a step further and engage the audience with the music and performance. Being open to communication also means being open to constructive criticism so that one can improve their work and engage their audiences better, especially since feedback and communication only happen after a performance is over and not during a performance.
• As hinted above, teamwork is an important part of being a musician especially since one will regularly have to work in or with bands or orchestras. Without cooperation and coordination, no feat will be achieved and nothing conclusive will come forth. So being a sport and playing in a team is essential to good and timely work.
• Self-management will help get one through regular practice. A strict mental and physical self-determination is necessary so as to overcome nervousness and perform under pressure in concerts, auditions, and exams. Proper planning to organize and work towards a performance will aid massively in getting it done. So having a routine one has to dedicatedly follow will help in maintaining a habit.
• Being responsible is an important skill to have. People will have to be part of an orchestra or band and perform in a designated time in different venues, that takes dedication and it also means shouldering a lot of responsibilities. One has to be mentally prepared to bear the workload physically and mentally.
• Multitasking is required in a field where people will have to learn an instrument and also coordinate it with others as well during a performance. It all requires the ability to think broadly and to keep an open mind.
• Technical skills, in association with music, are necessary to create as well as record music. Music is always changing and it involves experimentation. New software can provide that newness and extra depth to the music. So mastering that is imperative.
Careers in music are available in the following field:
• Music production companies
• Music media organizations
• Schools, colleges, and universities
• Cultural and creative industries
• Touring companies
• Mental health care providers
• Armed forces
Music education is for the really passionate ones who love music and want to explore more about it. People who want to create and experiment with this medium of expression should definitely step into this study major.